U.S. Apple Association is forecasting the 2018/2019 apple crop at 10.7 billion pounds. Measured in 42-pound bushels, the crop is forecasted to be 256.2 million bushels.
This represents 15 million bushels less than 2017, and 2 million bushels below the 5 year average production.
The U.S. Apple Association is predicting similar production volumes.
U.S. Apple Assoc. estimates the following production changes to the 2018 crop compared to 2017:
- 1% increase in production in the Eastern U.S.
- 35% increase in the Midwest
- 12% decrease in the Western U.S. (Washington State -13%)
Source: 2018 U.S. Apple Crop Production Forecast
From 2013 to 2018F varietal changes:
- Red Delicious total production has decreased 12%
- Golden delicious total production has declined 12%
- Gala total production has increased 38%
- Fuji total production has increased 25%
- Honeycrisp total production has increased 148%
- Cripps Pink total production has increased 148%
Growth in Fresh Market Drives Variety Selection