Unique characteristics offer great taste and excellent texture. Tree Top’s low moisture dried apples granules and powders are custom processed to the highest quality standards and your exact specifications. Since they are dried to maximum 3.5% moisture and have very low water activity, they are an ideal choice in shelf-stable products.
Benefits of Low Moisture Dried Apples Granules and Powders:
- Real fruit inclusion
- Serves as an excellent fat replacer and moisture extender
- Provide neutral base for other color and flavors
- Various sizes and shapes for different piece identities
- Low-cost transportation and storage
- Easy handling and reduced labor costs
- Low-cost alternative to fresh or frozen apples
- Shelf stable
- Cereals, both hot and ready-to-eat
- Cookies and cookie fillings
- Moisture extenders in dough
- Sauces and dried salad seasoning
- Cakes and pies
- Dry cake, muffin or pancake mix
- Fruit bars, granola bars and dried fruit snacks
- Doughnuts and fritters
- Fresh salads
- Granola cereals
- Pastry fillings
- Specialty sausages
1 serving = 1/3 cup @ 3% moisture = 13.7 g
Per USDA guidelines, 1 fruit serving = ½ cup
Let us work with you to create a product to take advantage of the latest fruit consumption recommendations. Incorporating a full serving of fruit into your product creates a marketable advantage.
- 3.5% maximum, Water Activity: 0.10 – 0.30
- Available in 30 and 40 pound cases
- Packaged in a sealed 4.0 mil high density poly bag inside a corrugated box
Preservatives and Treatment Options:
Dehydration itself increases shelf life by lowering the availability of water to microorganisms that cause spoilage. Other substances are used to combat enzymatic browning, which is commonly associated with cut fruit.
For more information, download our Treatment Options pdf here.
Our low moisture apples granules and powders are available with the following treatments:
No preservative, no special process
Moisture: 16%-18% maximum
Water Activity: .55 - .65
Storage recommendations: 45ºF or less
This product relies on a lower moisture level to prevent spoilage, and requires no additional declarations.
Sodium Sulfite: 500-1,500 ppm maximum (European markets 600 ppm max.)
Moisture: 22%-26% maximum
Water Activity: .65 - .75
Storage recommendations: 45º F or less
Sodium sulfite is very effective at inhibiting both enzymatic and non-enzymatic browning, and has been used for centuries in its gas form (sodium dioxide) for this purpose.
Although the end usage, process, size and style of cut will ultimately dictate the correct ratio, low moisture apples generally require four to five parts water (by weight) to one part apple, to fully reconstitute. Apples return to fresh cut dimensions when reconstituted.