Mango Carnitas Tacos with Napa Slaw
Mango Braised Pork
- 780 g Tree Top Mango Puree
- 1600 g pork shoulder
- 2 g ground black pepper
- 4 g sea salt, fine
- 50 g vegetable oil
- 200 g onion, diced
- 20 g garlic, minced
- 1370 g chicken or pork stock
- 500 g tomato, crushed in puree (canned)
- 2 g ground allspice
- 2 g oregano leaf, dried
- 1 g ground coriander
- 1 g ground cumin
- 1 g Ancho chile powder
- 3 g lime, fresh
- 4 g cornstarch
- 8 g cilantro, fresh, chopped fine
Mango Carnitas Tacos
- 230 g Mango Braised Pork (recipe below)
- 220 g white corn tortillas, warmed
- 160 g Napa Cabbage Slaw (recipe below)
- 60 g mango sauce, heated
- 25 g Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 4 g fresh tomato, finely diced
- 0.50 g fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- lime wedges (optioinal)
Napa Cabbage Slaw
- 20 g Tree Top Apple Puree SS
- 75 g non-fat Greek yogurt
- 50 g extra virgin olive oil
- 7.70 g lemon juice, fresh
- 8 g garlic, fresh, minced
- 0.50 g ground cumin
- 1 g parsley, fresh, chopped
- 7.50 g Tahini sesame paste
- 0.25 g oregano leaf, dried
- 0.25 g sea salt, fine
- 0.25 g ground black pepper, fine
- 80 g Napa cabbage, slivered fine
- 13 g red cabbage, slivered fine
- 6 g green onions, slivered fine
- 15 g red bell pepper, julienned fine
- 30 g jicama, julienned fine
- 51 g fresh apple, julienned fine
Slow cooked, braised pork shoulder in a sweet Mango Sauce. White corn tortillas filled with this sweet and spicy pork, topped with Cotija cheese crumbles, cilantro and diced tomato. Served with shaved Napa red cabbage and green onions with fine julienned carrots and jicama, tossed with fresh chopped parsley and Yogurt Citrus Dressing sweetened with Apple Puree.
Mango Carnitas Tacos:
Place prepared Napa Cabbage Slaw on serving plate. Plate heated pork on plate and garnish with additional sauce. Add heated tortillas to plate or on the side. Garnish plate with cheese, diced tomato, cilantro and lime wedges.
Mango Braised Pork:
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Rub pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large braising pan with lid. When hot, sear meat on 3 sides for about 5 minutes per side.
While searing meat on 4th side, add onion and garlic. Stir onion and garlic in oil and reduce heat so as not to burn garlic. When onion and garlic begin to turn golden brown, add tomato, broth and spices (ingredients 7 – 14 and puree). Bring to a simmer, cover and place into oven.
Cook for about 2 hours or until meat becomes very tender and slightly shredded.
Remove pork from pan. Place braising liquid back on the stove and reduce by ¾ and skim the fat. Add lime, mango and cornstarch. Bring to a simmer. Add cilantro and reserve for assembly.
Pull pork and slice, separate fat and toss with half the amount reserved sauce. Reserve rest of sauce for plate assembly.
Serves 6 – 8.
Napa Cabbage Slaw:
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
Cut vegetables and mix well with desired amount of dressing.
Refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours before serving.