1 pound black cod (sablefish, Alaskan), skin on, cut in 4 pieces
3 scant tablespoons salt, kosher flake
1/4 teaspoon Northwest Naturals Lemon Juice Concentrate
110 g ¼ IQF Apple Dice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
1 teaspoon fresh chopped mint
pinch salt, kosher flake
42 g Tree Top Apple Juice Concentrate
3 ounces kasu sake paste, fermented
1/4 teaspoon ginger, minced in jar
30 g water
1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon soy sauce, premium Kikkoman
1/2 cup fine slivered daikon radish
1/2 cup fine slivered carrot
1/4 cup fine slivered green onion
3 medium red lettuce leaves
12 Menlo, lumpia wrappers, frozen 8" x 8"
1 quart canola oil for frying
Wood Chips, Apple and or Hickory, enough for smoking
1. Place black cod fillet, skin side down on tray and sprinkle salt over the fish, cover with plastic and refrigerate 24 hours.
2. Rinse salt from fish with cold water and pat dry.
3. Place Sake Kasu, ginger in mixer on low setting and add all marinade ingredients slowly until smooth and incorporated.
4. Reserve 1/4 cup marinade refrigerated and pour remaining mixture over fish and refrigerate covered for additional 24 hours.
5. Preheat smoker 200 F. Pull fish from marinade, allowing excess
marinade to drip from fish and place skin side down on grate. Smoke
continuously for 3 hours, brushing occasionally with reserved marinade.
Chill before serving.
6. Mix apples, lemon concentrate, parsley, mint and salt and store refrigerated in colander.
7. Sliver vegetables on mandolin or grater, pat dry. Wash lettuce leaves and pat dry. Reserve.
8. Heat fryer to 350 F and fold lumpia in cone shape and fry crispy,
drain and cool on paper towel. Serves 6 each individual appetizers or 12
each bite sized.
- For additionally firm pellicle, remove from marinade and refrigerate 12 hours uncovered and separated.
- Smoker with active smoke discharge provides additional smoke flavor.